MASS CALL IN!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ToxicTurtle

ToxicTurtle

n00b

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Aside from wheeling, NASCAR, all other forms of racing... SCCA, FIA WRC, F1; MT Biking; camping; hiking; being outdoors.... the beach....
  • Rig:87 Toy 4Runner

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:04 AM

OK, we've been keeping this under our belts.

On Tuesday, October 23rd. We are going to stage a mass call in to the MA legislature/governor, Deval Patrick.

As most of you know, there is little land unavailable to OHV use in MA. (At least there IS some land available)
What we are going to do:
At some point during the day, on Tuesday, OCT 23rd, we need everyone who reads this to call these numbers/people:

Governor Deval Patrick
State House, Rm. 360
Boston, MA 02133
Phone: (617) 725-4005
Fax: (617) 727-9725

SENATE PRESIDENT
THERESE MURRAY
State House

District Office
Tel: (617) 722-1500 Tel: (508) 746-9332

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE
SALVATORE F. DIMASI
State House

Telephone: 617-722-2500
Facsimile: 617-722-2008
E-Mail: Rep.SalvatoreDiMasi@hou.state.ma.us

This is what you need to say:

MA Residents:

Hi, My name is_____________. I live in _________________. I am calling today to make sure that Governor Patrick is made aware that there is a large, growing constituency base that uses ATVs and 4x4s on state property and that more land should be made available, not less. Less will only cause those large numbers to be condensed into smaller areas, creating erosion/trail damage issues, more illegal wheeling and many people to seek out their recreation outside the state, taking their money and tourism dollars with them.

Thank you,

Non-Residents:

Hi, My name is_____________. I live in _________________. I am calling today to make sure that Governor Patrick is made aware that there is a large, growing tourism base that uses ATVs and 4x4s on state property and that more land should be made available, not less. Less will only cause those large numbers to be condensed into smaller areas, creating erosion/trail damage issues, more illegal wheeling and many people to seek out their recreation outside the state, taking their money and tourism dollars with them.

Thank you,

These people very often don't have a lot of time. So, the idea is to present our point and we're done. Also, chances are we won't actually speak to the Gov or these legislators but an office aide, secretary, etc.

If they ask any questions, request more info, make sure you get that info to me and I will send out a package of information to them.
Also, if they ask questions, here are some other topics you can insert into your dialog:

*did you know there are 147 state forests in massachusetts totalling over 450,000 acres, and not a single acre of state land allows 4x4 trucks or SUV's?

*I would like to see the state open land for the sole purpose of Off Highway Vehicle Recreation, and would happily pay a annual registration plus an entrance fee.

*Unfortunately, just a few bad apples who engage in illegal off pavement do a lot of damage to private property, wildlife management areas, wetlands and so forth. both clubs and environmental police officers agree that providing legal land is the solution to illegal offroading.

*i think there is a lot of revenue to be generated for the state by opening an ORV only forest.

*the club that i belong to is sanctioned by a larger association, the ( EC4WDA or NEA4WDC ) which represents hundreds of members, experienced in trail construction and maintenance. if the state were to work with the association, I'm sure that trail construction could be done by volunteers for free. i would certainly volunteer.

*i take x amount of weekend 4 wheeling trips to ME/NH/PA per year and would love to travel to a park that is closer instead, even if there was a significant fee, it's still less than the $200 round trip gas bill, and being closer, i could go several more times per year.

PLEASE.. LETS HIT THEM HARD!! This will only take a few minutes of each our days. If for some reason you are caught in meetings all day long and can't make the call, please make sure to call before several days go by.

Please let me know if you run into any road blocks.. any arses in any particular offices, etc.

Thanx!!

Remember the movies..... WE ARE WHEELERS!! or the other great one... "they can take our tax dollars but they can't take away our WHEELING!!!!"

Charge!!!

please spread this far and wide.

thanx!

#2 mike_belben

mike_belben

Carpal

• NEOW Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,201 posts
  • Rig:glog.glog.glog.glog.glog

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:54 AM

just reminding people to get on the phone. all 3 calls took me about 4 minutes total and the aids in each office were polite, listened to what i had to say, wrote it down with interest and assured me they would forward the info to the various politicians.

just call and say goodmorning, im so and so from the town of _________ and im calling today in support of ATV/ORV use in our state forests, id like to see more land made available or whatever. they'll know what you're talking about.

#3 ToxicTurtle

ToxicTurtle

n00b

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Aside from wheeling, NASCAR, all other forms of racing... SCCA, FIA WRC, F1; MT Biking; camping; hiking; being outdoors.... the beach....
  • Rig:87 Toy 4Runner

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

just reminding people to get on the phone. all 3 calls took me about 4 minutes total and the aids in each office were polite, listened to what i had to say, wrote it down with interest and assured me they would forward the info to the various politicians.

just call and say good morning, im so and so from the town of _________ and im calling today in support of ATV/ORV use in our state forests, id like to see more land made available or whatever. they'll know what you're talking about.

Yep, same here. Very polite and two offices even asked for my contact info.. granted, I told them my position and touched on several aspects of what we put together. Based on the feedback so far from the motorized community, I think we will have come very close to my "goal" of 100 calls... although, I gotta tellya... A few of the MA ATVers got all worked up, because, despite the short notice, hoping for the antis to NOT get ahold of it, Gary Briere did and he actually called the MA ATV folks and told them not to call as it would only hurt their stance... Yeah... :P Like anything Gary says about motorized use is honest... On at least two occasions, not at public meetings, but at the NOHVCC conferences in both CT and VA, he said that the state was going to reduce the remaining 5+/- state forests available for OHV use to just one, as a test bed for a state OHV trail system... hhhmmm... lets see, dump all the heavy traffic already being seen (because they have reduced the number of forests available from 15 to 5 in the last 8 years) and throw it all in one as a test...can you say DESIGNED FAILURE boys and girls... :banghead: but those fellows believe him... so, they'll walk to the front of the Posiden w/o Gene Hackman.

Oh well, overall, great news for us.
The idea of this was/is to simply make them cough and take notice... huh, what? holy doo-dee, we rec'd how many calls today? so when we need to bring something up, probably this spring, they'll be aware of who's out here.

Thanx to all that called :(

Talk soon,

#4 Jeepin Dave

Jeepin Dave

n00b

• NEOW Supporter
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Jeepin, Family, Hiking, Hanging out, anything fun...
  • Rig:97 ZJ.

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:54 AM

Emailed yesterday.

May even call today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users